The history

The Estate, with a historic house in the center, extends over an area of 118 acres with vineyards and olive groves. At 5 Km from Frascati, 18 Km from Rome, in Castelli Romani area, "Tenuta di Pietra Porzia" includes 100 acres of vineyards from the production of Frascati and Castelli Romani red wine, 18 acres of olive groves producing extra virgin oil, an agritourism with a restaurant, 12 rooms and a swimming pool.

History begins in 496 a. C.: in a large amphitheater with the lake Regillo in the center, Romans and Latins face each others in a hard battle, at the crucial moment the Dioscuri, the twins born by Jupiter, fall from the sky and lead Romans to victory!

The battle theater is today "Tenuta di Pietra Porzia", a small river in the center of the estate is what remains of the ancient lake, the cave with its long grottoes, excavated around 2000 years ago, attests an agricultural tradition that in 1714 showed the estate divided between Pope Clemente XI and Princes Colonna and Borghese properties. The date 1892, engraved in the bricks, reminds the birth of the present cellar, that replaces the ancient cellar excavated in the rock at the times of the Roman Empire.

With the grandfather of the present owners, Giulini family, the estate, 118 acres in a unique body, takes the current appearance with the wide vineyards and olive grove located the highest part of the amphitheater.

The vineyards, 100 acres, are planted with Malvasia di Candia, Trebbiano Toscano, Greco and Bombino used for Frascati DOC; Montepulciano, Merlot and Lecinaro used for Castelli Romani Red Wine.

Remaining 18 acres are planted with Frantoio, Leccino, Moraiolo and Carboncella, the typical local olive, for the production of extra virgin olive oil.

In 1945, a villa, today a historic house, is built by architect Luccichenti on a dominant position with a splendid view that ranges over Rome to Tivoli, to Castelli Romani as well as to Monteporzio and Frascati.

Nowadays the villa and the guesthouse have been transformed into an agritourism with 12 rooms, a typical restaurant and a swimming pool at disposition of who wants to appreciate an untouched landscape in the Roman countryside. Part of the same ownership is also another beautiful wine estate in Novi Ligure (Piedmont) www.tenutalamarchesa.it as well as a fashion collection 100% Made in Italy www.liola.it

Pietra Porzia Estate, the vineyard

The vineyard

The perfectly aligned vineyard rows occupy the first hills and the ancient Regillo lake whole valley, famous for the battle won in 496 a. C. by the Romans with the help of the twins Dioscuri, Jupiter's sons, pictured on the bottles labels. The vineyard extends through 100 acres, planted with old vines of Malvasia di Candia, Trebbiano Toscano, Greco and Bombino used for Frascati DOC; Montepulciano, Merlot and Lecinaro used for Castelli Romani Red Wine.

Pietra Porzia Estate, the olive-grove

The olive-grove

18 acres of olive grove occupy the top of the hills around the villa and are planted with Frantoio, Leccino, Moraiolo, Rusciola and Carboncella, the typical local variety.

Pietra Porzia Estate, the collecting tank

The collecting tank

The tank collecting the water from a quenchless natural spring, located in the estate, was built in 1892 together with the cellar.

Pietra Porzia Estate, the cypresses avenue

The cypresses avenue

A nearly 1 km long avenue with secular cypresses leads from the cellar to the agritourism located in the villa and in the guesthouse.

Pietra Porzia Estate, the oil-mill

The oil-mill

In 2000, an own oil mill or the cold pressing of estate olives only was set-up. Obtained oil, rich of fragrances and with a very low acidity, has already received several quality acknowledgments and won 2/3 olives on Slow Food Guides

Pietra Porzia Estate, the villa

The villa

Built immediately after the Last World War, it is a rare example of post modern large country house, designed by a well-known architect of that period, who also designed its surrounding garden, open like a stage on the Roman countryside.

Pietra Porzia Estate, the villa guesthouse

The villa guesthouse

The villa guesthouse, built around 1850, was renovated to its original appearance.

Pietra Porzia Estate, the old cellar

The old cellar

The old cellar consists of several tunnels for a total of 400 meters, hollowed into the tuff at a depth of 10 meters, around 2000 years ago. In the galleries some niches hold 120 wine butts of 100 kg each. A careful refurbishing has integrally restored the cellar, nowadays dedicated to visits and tasting.

Pietra Porzia Estate, the cellar

The cellar

The cellar architecture, dated 1892, located at the entrance at the estate, is in perfect harmony with the landscape.

Pietra Porzia Estate, the vineyard

The vineyard

The perfectly aligned vineyard rows occupy the first hills and the ancient Regillo lake whole valley, famous for the battle won in 496 a. C. by the Romans with the help of the twins Dioscuri, Jupiter's sons, pictured on the bottles labels. The vineyard extends through 100 acres, planted with old vines of Malvasia di Candia, Trebbiano Toscano, Greco and Bombino used for Frascati DOC; Montepulciano, Merlot and Lecinaro used for Castelli Romani Red Wine.

Pietra Porzia Estate, the olive-grove

The olive-grove

18 acres of olive grove occupy the top of the hills around the villa and are planted with Frantoio, Leccino, Moraiolo, Rusciola and Carboncella, the typical local variety.

Pietra Porzia Estate, the collecting tank

The collecting tank

The tank collecting the water from a quenchless natural spring, located in the estate, was built in 1892 together with the cellar.

Pietra Porzia Estate, the cypresses avenue

The cypresses avenue

A nearly 1 km long avenue with secular cypresses leads from the cellar to the agritourism located in the villa and in the guesthouse.

Pietra Porzia Estate, the oil-mill

The oil-mill

In 2000, an own oil mill or the cold pressing of estate olives only was set-up. Obtained oil, rich of fragrances and with a very low acidity, has already received several quality acknowledgments and won 2/3 olives on Slow Food Guides

Pietra Porzia Estate, the villa

The villa

Built immediately after the Last World War, it is a rare example of post modern large country house, designed by a well-known architect of that period, who also designed its surrounding garden, open like a stage on the Roman countryside.

Pietra Porzia Estate, the villa guesthouse

The villa guesthouse

The villa guesthouse, built around 1850, was renovated to its original appearance.

Pietra Porzia Estate, the old cellar

The old cellar

The old cellar consists of several tunnels for a total of 400 meters, hollowed into the tuff at a depth of 10 meters, around 2000 years ago. In the galleries some niches hold 120 wine butts of 100 kg each. A careful refurbishing has integrally restored the cellar, nowadays dedicated to visits and tasting.

Pietra Porzia Estate, the cellar

The cellar

The cellar architecture, dated 1892, located at the entrance at the estate, is in perfect harmony with the landscape.